Monday 2 July 2007

Why I love Miri so much?

After my two-months-plus national service, the next two days, Sabrina and I with our parents brought us to Miri for a more exciting university life ahead. When we first moved into Curtin Village 5714, it was newly built. So, it was quite dirty, full with sand and dust after the construction. But thank God that our parents were there to help us clean the whole house and bought the stuff that we need for our stay while we were having our orientation in uni.

During my foundation first semester, Sab & I had the whole house all by ourselves. That was great and my room was room 2 in the house. We had bigger rooms compared to Senadin rooms, plus it's newly built. I remembered Sabrina's room flood once. The toilet broke and water kept splashing out in the midnight. The water splashed onto my door and reflected back into Sab's room through the space between the door and the floor. So, the next day, Sab woke up with her floors full with water. Haha...

Second semester, Adeline, Melissa and Sharon Yong moved in. That made six Labuan~ians in a house. So, there were more laughters (means noisier) and more people to hang around. I could still remember during the early second sem, my first time travelling on a public bus to the city together with Yee Enn, Sab & Adeline. Adeline and Yee Enn were very bored because they have nothing to do since they just finished their orientation. So, we decided to go to the city and play while shopping for grocery! We went to Bintang, then Boulevard. Finally, we had to call a taxi back because we had too many stuff. If not mistaken, two or three full trolleys, right? Yeah, that was fun.













This was my table in 5714 room 2, with lots of yellow stick-ons on the wall (reminders, units, advices). My laptop(Dell) on the far left. I could still remember changing three laptops during my one-year foundation. Not because it was not good or spoilt by me, but my dad just want to change it. I totally had no ideas why he keep changing my laptops. From Acer to Dell then to Acer again. But I prefer Acer the most though Dell is small. But when thing gets small, you need lots of plug-in which is so inconvenient.

During my orientation, we were separated into groups of animals. My group was the duck with Jing Tuang, Ian and Charlie. Highlight of the orientation is the O-night which is held at Piasau beach where we had lots of activities(beach volleyball). Later at night, every group has to perform one performance. Our group sang the Disney song "Can you feel the love tonight?" Our group was not the best, but we did enjoyed ourselves. I could remember Jojo group danced SHE mei li xin shi jie. Melanie got chosen for the Miss O-night.













A pretty Bruneian. She is smart as well, being the best foundation media student.

We were brought to Miri Gospel Chapel by Mr David, one of the management lecturer in Curtin. But he now works in Shell Lutong full time, no more teaching. Miri Gospel Chapel is the place where my Christian faith really starts to grow. I considered it as my home church as well.














This is Mr David and me. See the wall in our church? It is the ten commandments.

During our foundation, we were separated into five groups. I was in group A, with Sian Fa, Kenin, Poly, Ian while Sabrina was in group D, together with Florence Yii, Pei Chee and Jojo them. This was the picture taken during Poly's 18 years old birthday in his hostel when all of us were not as closed yet.













Three "outsiders" at the back(Oscar, Fang Rou & Chris). From left: Sian Fa, Hui Ling, Aileen, Albert, Poly and Cheng. Where is me? I came late that time because I went to library with Ming Siang. When I reached there, I was "forced" to take picture alone with Poly and is not one picture, is like three or four pics. Maybe is my punishment for being late?

After few months, everyone got very closed because of the small size group (20 people). Like what I always said with small group, people gets very close.













From left: Florence Yii, Sabrina, Sian Fa & Me. Group A students were having chemistry project presentation that time.













The group A girls taken with Ms. Anita (our Research & Writing Skills lecturer). Group A girls were also known as the Powerpuff Girl back then. From left: Jacinta, Aileen, Fann, Sheron, Hui Ling, Sian Fa & Shirley. Everyone was smiling so sweet.

My good mates back then were Ming Siang and Albert. During our first group meeting, everyone spoke english. Think of it was weird tho. Then, during sem one, everyone was very hardworking for the project and we decided to be in the same group during our second sem again. But that time, all of us slacked. Last minute work but I did enjoyed all those last minute work together. Everytime, when we worked till late, ming siang will definitely bring us to Luo Bintang for supper. I miss the lau su fen there. But the uncle no more selling when I was in year one. Didn't know where did he go. If anyone knows, please tell me, ok? I miss his cook.

I remembered once, while working on our chemistry project, we went to Albert's room in the hostel to finish it. Because we still left a lot and due date was just nearby, I decided to finish the project by that night as well. But maybe our talkings and laughters were just too noisy, the security came to check and we were caught! That time was 12.30am. So, the two securities jot down our names and IDs. But I had no idea what they did with our names after that because no any bad news after that. Maybe they just threw the paper away. Because of the group project, Albert, Ming Siang and I got very close, especially me & Ming Siang where we can start to have deep conversation. Till now, no matter how less we communicate with each other, but he is always my best friend because of the bond that we have formed earlier I guess.













This is one of the picture taken in Albert's room. Ming Siang and Jacinta.













In the picture, from left, Albert, me, Aileen and Ming Siang. One of our "proud" work, the physics project where our topic was Newton's Second Law. Though it was just a simple project, but I truly enjoyed myself in this project. Cycling to the nearby shop to buy the toy car with Aileen and treasure hunting for nails. That time, the Curtin Village Laundry room is half way built. So, we went there and find suitable nails.














This picture is taken during one of our activities in Malaysian Studies - Visit long house.

We had to take LAN subjects when we were in our foundation. We took Malaysian Studies in the first sem and Moral Studies in the second sem. Malaysian Studies is a tiring subject where we had to write two journals every week. Each journal's length is at least 300 words. One journal for lecture and one journal for newspaper reading. Think of it, it was very wasting time that time. Credit point is 0 and we still need to do so much work and some more, it's all Malaysia history again.













Picture taken during one of the debates for our moral activities. Moral studies is very interesting because there are lot of activities(sketches, debates, visits) held instead of just studying and memorising stuff. I was in Kenin's group that time, together with Sabrina, Loi, Debbie, Natalie, Oscar, and Aylwin. Our pride, Sabrina had won three times straight for the best debater. I remembered one of our topic is "Sexual Transmission Surgery good or bad?" We got the good side. But we all know that it's more point for the bad side. But finally we did win. I could still remember Sian Fa would speak very very fast when she is nervous on the stage.

Other than debate, our group visited the Kidney Dialysis Centre. I remembered meeting an old man, Mr Leong? the ketua kampung or something like that, I couldn't remember. We invited him to help us during our moral presentation that time but too bad, he broke his leg nerve and had to stay in the hospital. We bought some fruits for him when visiting him. My first and last visit to the Miri hospital.

Other than that, we still had sketches. Richard Kho, I would rate him the funniest and best actor I ever met. Other than him, there are still some like Jojo, Albert and Cheng(acting pai kia). Good job!













Another thing which makes me occupy as a foundation student is the Varsity Christian Fellowship (VCF). I was not as active yet while I was in my first sem. I prefered to stay at home all the time, which came to think of it, it was very bad tho. I called it no life. But, I started to get active in my second sem and I enjoyed it. But too bad, I missed out the Alice Farm trip during the first sem.

Anyway, I remember joining one of the VCF activities at Parkroyal. Buffet for RM5 only?? Nope.. Because the club has already paid for some. Besides the buffet, we had lots of fun in the beach. Beach volleyball, boomerang...... We managed to swim in the swimming pool in Parkroyal when it was dark. It was fun. In the pic was me and Ah Lung. Sabrina at the back.

The foundation graduation marked the end of my foundation life.













In the picture is Poly, sister Karen (our friend in MGC), Me, Brother Cheng, and Kenin. See the flowers in our hands? Is given by Karen. One of the nice friend that I met in MGC. Not forget Soon Kong, Oja, Nehum, Freda, Robert......













Picture of me with my other friends graduating same time with me. From left, Alywin Lee (Lee Kim Shin's son also president of Student Council Miri 2007), Brother Cheng, Me, Fann, Hui Ling, Kenin, Ian and Poly(carrying all my stuff). How come only some of us wearing the graduation gown? Oh well, we had to pay for it tho. I didn't want to join the graduation at first because I found it meaningless because we were not graduating as a Degree student, but is only foundation. Just like STPM. It was quite expensive as well. RM60 for the gown which you only wear for half day. But the student officers called me few times that I must join that ceremony, because I need to receive my Chief Minister award (the highlight). So, I had to join.

Does graduating mean separation as well? Yeah, I admit there are a number of students that left us, like George, Sabrina, Fann, Hui Ling and Yii Yang. But majority of the students still remain. So, we are still very close to each other.













Albert and George. I could still remember George is from Kuching. He is same class with us during our early first sem, right? I lost contact with this friend. If anyone has his email or hp no, please forward to me, ok?













This is Hui Ling and Fann. Both of them have switched to commerce.













This is Ian number 2. Ian Ling Yii Yang. He switched to commerce as well.

Not forget about my first relationship, which started on the 9 November, 2005. Second semester. During my one-year foundation, there are two rumours about me. One with Ming Siang and I was called "ah bian fu ren" or "zong tong fu ren" that time because Ming Siang's nickname is Taiwan president "Ah Bian'. Rumours happen because I was very close with him that time due to the group project. The other one was with Poly. Poly used to be a shy and quiet guy in group A. I had a bad habit which is to make shy or quiet people talk, like Poly, Rony, Raymond.... Lots more. Because of that, Poly and I got close as well. I remembered that time I had some personal problem with my far-away Labuan friend. You know who you are? Poly is the one that offered help. He is a nice guy and he is really understanding, man! He always knew what I am thinking.













This is Poly and I. I used to tell myself that if I ever have a relationship, it will not last long because I am not as loyal. But now, we are reaching two years of our relationship soon! That proves me wrong as well. Though we are far apart, we still manage to move on with this long distance relationship. Thank God for His blessings.

This marked the end of year 2005.

All in all, my maturity has one step increased, though it's still not so mature yet. But of coz, I'll continue to grow in the way that God wants me to be. I enjoyed my foundation as much as my degree life. Will post out more next time.

2 comments:

Sabrina Woon said...

*faints*

I really speechless lah... i hate you loh.. make me miss miri so much now..hahaha... jk! love u lah.. hehe

sigh.. those were really the good time..

I have george's friendster.. give u on msn.. and florence yii in group c.. :p

and one more.. 5714 only got 5 ppl lah.. when did the 6th one came out? LOL

Anonymous said...

waaaa! make me miss u all soo much lerr!!!
come miri soon!! else.. u wait till i go aus yeah!! then we cn enjoy academic life together again..
miss the beaches with u.. miss discussin hw with u.. miss going to 5714 to look 4 u n sab.. haih..
sob sob~
hugs hugs dearie!