Monday 30 July 2007

First Day of Second Semester

Today is the first day of my year two second semester. But I am still currently in the holiday mood. I am going to be very busy this semester. Busy with John Curtin Leadership Academy (JCLA)Module Lessons (3 hours every Thursday throughout the semester), JCLA Fundraising project, responsibility of a core member, as a student with 24 contact hours per week, and maybe taking a part time job as well.

JCLA Fundraising Project is a project where three of us - Radoman, Michael and me in a group will be meeting three times per week. In this project, we need to fundraise money by organising two sausage sizzles and asking for sponsorships. With this money, we will be able to print brochures of Royal Flying Doctor Service(RFDS-an organisation of flying doctor services bringing patients from rural areas to the general hospital in Perth city). We will be distributing the printed brochures in various places like city, universities and shops. All of these have to be done in 12 weeks aligned with the tuition week.

This semester, I am taking four units - Thermodynamics, Process Heat Transfer, Process System Analysis and Chemistry 102 (my last semester chemistry in my degree course and will be learning organic and physical chemistry). I just finished my two lectures - Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer today. Thermodynamics is taught by Professor Ming Ang - our lecturer for Process Principles last semester. What is thermodynamics? No idea. But thermo = heat, dynamics = movement. I reckon should be transfer of heat. Heat transfer is supposed to be taught by our last semester lecturer - Dr Nicoleta, but she is on her maternity leave. So, this unit is taken over by two new lecturers - Dr Rupa Vuthaluru and Gordon Ingram. I think Dr Rupa is a Malaysian Indian from what I see as her appearance. This lecturer has very soft voice, so next time whenever her class I need to sit in the first row in order to really listen clearly of what she is talking.

As for the core member, I will be busy with two music practices per week - one for cell group and one for church. Basically core members are the ones that deal with the transport, games, worship team, prayer, sharing of God's words, and refreshments for every week. I will be in charge of the prayer this semester. Last Friday was our first cell for this semester (before that we had winter combined cell). I was supposed to play keyboard in the cell group, but they forgot to bring it over. So, I had to take on the worship leading. But problem is the songs - One Way, from the inside out, and everlasting were chosen by Diana and I am not really familiar with the last two songs. So, I was stucked for the "from the inside out". I could not remember how to sing. But luckily, my cell group leader started singing and I could continue after that. When I finished doing the worship leading, I really felt very bad. Not only I could not sing well, but also could not lead well. Even the visitors also can sense lost of direction. It was my second time of leading that night. I felt myself doing very badly but my other core members' encouragement makes me feel better. So, this semester, I will be working more on worship leading, prayer and keyboard playing. Remember I said I am afraid of praying in front of so many people? In the cell group for this semester, we were re~distributed. I did not pray for God to put me with who and who, but praying that God put me in a cell which can help me grow more. I guess God really want me to grow by being able to pray in public and here comes the prayer "committee".

I will definitely need to work hard for this semester. Let's gambatte together!!

2 comments:

Sabrina Woon said...

I did thermodynamics last sem. It was kinda complicated but fun to learn. Hehehe... And I'm doing heat & mass transfer this sem.

Is the fundraising project under the academy?

sHeRoN said...

Oh.. Yeah, thermodynamics is something like process principles but more complicated.

Yeah, the fundraising project is under the academy.. Is kinda fun and will be learning quite a lot of things from it too!