Wednesday 27 June 2007

Reflection on lecturers for Year 2 Sem 1

Dr Hongwei Wu is one of the minority lecturer which is so good and friendly that I have found in Curtin Perth. No matter what the students do to him, busy talking, making fun when he is teaching, he still shows us the smile. He is the friendliest lecturer that I have found here. But I just could't know why when he called me just now, I tend to get so nervous by just talking with him on the phone.

Well, it's all for my John Curtin Leadership Academy sake where I have to get contacts from these lecturer asking permission for them to become my referees for my resume and also for the recommendation letters. Tomorrow, I'm going to uni again to look for lecturers to show them all my documents. Hopefully they are there because lecturers seldom turn up in this university period.

Anyway, let's talk about this sem lecturers. All are good and experienced of coz. It's then worthwhile of what we have paid for such huge amount in Bentley campus compared to Miri campus. First, let's start with my favourite Fluid Mechanics lecturers. We had two parts. Part A was taught by the Dean of Engineering - Professor Tony Lucey. Like him because he is very experienced. Experience in real life and experience in giving lectures. I found his lecture forever interesting especially when the part where he relates to the real life. He seriously knows a lot of stuff. Oh ya, he is also the unit controller of engineering mechanics 100. Friends, remember where there is a part in the tutorials where the solution written by the lecturer is so messy? That was his handwriting. He is from the department of mechanical engineering. Part B taught by Dr Hongwei Wu(from chemical engineering department). A very good lecturer as I mentioned above. Always try his best to help students.

Next, will be chemistry. Again, we have two parts - Physical(Mr. Barry Thornton) and Inorganic(Professor Mark Odgen). I love Barry more. The santa clause lecturer. He really looks like a santa clause that makes me take his picture in the lecture without letting him know. But this lecturer gives me a bad impression the first time I met him. We had to sit outside the tutorial room for one hour because Mark has misintepret our tutorial location. When sitting outside the tutorial, I could still remember he scolded one lady that asked question "You woman, keep quiet". Well, I didn't know that he was actually joking because he sound very serious that time. After getting to know him more, he was actually a funny guy and knowledgable as well. Knows a lot of things in real life involving chemistry. From him, I even know that we human are actually slightly acidic. Mark was alright. But I still have problem in listening what he speaks tho he always try his best to lecture us.

Another one would be Process Engineering Materials. Dr. Deeptangshu. Again, this lecturer gives me a bad impression from beginning because what I think was he didn't want to accept people ideas coz that time we didn't like the tutorial which really waste our time and we have to get up early at 8am for a "wasted class". Luckily, I'm in the 9am session. But, during our first evaluation which is in the 4th week, we commented this lecturer the most. But he later gave me a good impression that he try to solve the problem that we have commented to the head of chemical engineering. He continued to do his best for us. One thing was the best is during our final examination, he stood in front for a very long time as a encouragement for us and giving us a confidence eye signal(lecturer being there to support). Keep up your good work, Dr.D.

Oh ya, I met Andrew Mariott during the orientation. The lecturer that lots of Miri students dislike him for giving such a tough and hard question in our assignment and being so mean. Well, he really looks like a programmer like what Foad had said. Very untidy. He even wear shorts and t-shirt to the orientation where there are like about 400-500 students. His hair was very messy, too.

Let's have an overall view as conclusion. Well, in Miri, lecturers tend to want students study for exam as when you ask questions in Miri, lecturer will tell you, this is not in the syllabus need not study. Lecturers here also tend to bring you to the real life application and appreciation of the theory. Their aims are different. They want us to do well in real life rather than just examination. During the lecture, they talk a lot about the real life application compared with in Miri, they just talk mainly about the lecture slides.

2 comments:

Poly Jr. said...

Waaa, so nice. Eh, trade lecturers with my lecturers leh. DR. WONG ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS!!! Nice to see that u are fitting in with the staff, hon. Well, good luck on your John Curtin adventure. I'm sure u can get in if u just try hard enuf. Gambatte!!!

Kenin said...

keke..aya bad la u..tempt me to go Perth now ..sobz...ya i think Msian style is how to ace in exam only...lolx...